Bike shops near the School
Within 5 minutes cycling
- Fitzrovia Bicycles: 136-138 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6YD, tel: 020 7631 5060, open until 7pm on weekdays.
- Cloud 9 Cycles, 38 Store Street, WC1E 7DB, tel 020 8090 9560, gear and custom made bikes, open until 8pm on weekdays.
- Evans Cycles: 51-52 Rathbone Place W1T 1JP, London tel. 020 7580 4107, big chain bike shop, open until 8pm on weekdays.
Within 10 minutes cycling
- Condor Cycles: 51 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8PP, tel. 020 7269 6820, open until 6pm on weekdays (7.30pm on Wednesdays)
- Velorution, 88 Great Portland Street, London W1W 7NS, tel: 020 7637 4004, open until 6.45pm on weekdays
Within 15 minutes cycling
- Bikefix: 48 Lamb’s Conduit Street, London WC1N 3LH, tel. 020 7405 1218, open until 7pm on weekdays.
- Evans Cycles: 148 High Holborn, London WC1V 7AA, tel. 020 7836 5585, big chain bike shop, open until 8pm on weekdays.
Try your local branch of freecycle.
Re-Cycling at Elephant & Castle, 110 Elephant Rd, SE17 1LB, tel: 020 7703 7001
New but cheap
Decathlon – some are under £100 (but may fall apart quickly!)
Simpsons in Kentish Town, 114-116 Malden Rd, London NW5 4BY, tel: 020 7485 1706.
Brick Lane market near Liverpool Street station (Sundays) is notorious for selling stolen bikes (please don’t encourage the trade!) but there is at least one legitimate stall selling new bikes for about £100. It is located behind the car park. Several stalls sell cheap locks, baskets, bells, lights, reflective jackets etc.
Reflective high visibility vests can often be purchased at pound stores (Poundland, Poundbusters, etc.) or builders merchants for much cheaper prices than in bike shops.